Friday 8 January 2016

Half-Way Point: People, Places and Things...

It feels like it was only yesterday that I wrote the bar exam and commenced my articles. On the sunny morning of August 4th, I started as an articling student and thus far the experience has been more than I ever could have expected. Thinking of all of the opportunities that have been made available to me including the people that I have been able to meet and places that I have attended, I definitely believe that I would not change this profession for any other.

I would not change this profession for any other.


Some of the tasks that I have been assigned include drafting motion materials (that were presented to the Regional Senior Justice), making submissions to a Judge at a settlement conference, participating in examinations for discovery and conducting cutting-edge legal research on novel areas of law. All-in-all it feels like I learned more in 5 months of articling than in 3 years of law school (no offence Windsor Law).

Secondly, the articling experience at a law firm like MB brings with itself the opportunity to meet some of the brightest minds and reinforces how much we have yet to learn. I have been able to work on many interesting files with lawyers and partners at MB that have allowed me to grow as a future lawyer and expand my writing and advocacy skills. Advancing legal arguments to Judges at different levels of Court, whose intelligence and eloquence are outstanding is a true privilege. I have been very fortunate to experience first-hand the dynamics of working with our clients who are leaders in their respective industries.

“Businessman At The Airport Terminal” by stockimages courtesy of freedigitalphotos
Lastly, the places I have been able to visit while working at MB have made this experience even more pleasant. To name a few, I attended hearings in Toronto, Barrie, Niagara Falls, Newmarket, Kitchener and this March I am even flying to Timmins! Travelling while articling has made the entire experience that much more exciting.

Now that I am at the "halfway" point, I can only hope that the other half of articling contains just as many interesting things to do, people to meet and places to visit.
Bogdan M.