Monday 6 May 2013

Words of Wisdom...

After reading Natalie’s post, I found myself reflecting on the variety of advice I have collected over the past few years, both during law school and now during my articling term. Before beginning articling, I had my own idea of how I imagined the experience to be. This was largely based on the information passed down to me from those who had gone through the process before me, who never hesitated to share their stories and advice.

One piece of advice that stands out and rings true now, more than ever, came from someone whom I considered my mentor when I was concluding my final year in law school and thinking forward to the start of articling:

Articling is what you make of it.


...take advantage of the learning opportunities available to you as best
you can.

Articling, by its very nature, is meant to be a learning experience and there is no better time to learn and gain invaluable experience. Having completed approximately nine months of articling here at MB, I can say that though articling tests and challenges you on a daily basis, it can be very rewarding. That is why it is important that, though you may find articling to be an exceptionally busy time, you must also take advantage of the learning opportunities available to you as best you can. Following the advice given to me, I have made efforts to work with a variety of lawyers on a variety of legal issues. I have also tried to attend as many examinations for discovery, court appearances, and client meetings as possible, as I find them to be great learning experiences.


Aside from the hands-on learning experiences, I've also had the chance to attend many educational seminars and lunch & learn events on a variety of informative topics ranging from how to conduct examinations for discovery to how to run a file.

While work will always find its way to you when you’re articling, it is also important to seek out the work that YOU want. I've found that being proactive and volunteering to assist with work you’re interested in is a great way to make the most of your experience.

And speaking of making the most of an experience… I am going to take this opportunity to give a Shameless plug for Toronto’s beloved Maple Leafs who have finally made it back to the playoffs…GO LEAFS GO!!!


MN